Friday, January 29, 2010

What is delicious about Delicious.com?

      It was interesting to hear the first comments of some of our colleagues who thought that Delicious.com was about food. That's the normal association that the name of the website brings to mind. But, although it has nothing to do with food, we have all discovered its deliciousness. It is so simple and yet so helpful and practical. You find a useful page, bookmark it, add a tag, and it's there for you whenever you need it, wherever you are. 
     Another delicious thing about it is that when you need a website on a certain topic, and you don't know where to start, you just look at what others have saved on their page and you get going. It is especially helpful when you have added people in your profession to your network, because you know that you can trust their choice. So, Delicious.com is not only about saving and sharing addresses of websites, but it is also about helping each other and learning from each other. 
      Finally, sharing your bookmarks with your students will be of great help to them. Although many students are skilled in using the Internet, it may not be easy for them to find websites relevant for the subject they are learning. So, looking at their teacher's bookmarks will make it easier for them to find the right websites without wasting any time. What is more, they can be sure that these websites can provide valuable and trustworthy information, as they have been checked and bookmarked by someone who knows more about the topic.
       Delicious, isn't it?

8 comments:

  1. Hello Nina,

    I concur with you that Delicious is a vital tool both for a teacher and students. It is an internet library to assist one without much strain. Go on and share this with your students.

    Jow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Nina,

    I also shared my Deliciuos page with my students. They were very much interested to see what their teacher had "created on the Internet". They were amaized, although I haven't bookmarked much, yet, but I will.That is the first time they see something done by their teacher on the Internet. I felt proud of myself, can you imagine? I have to improve my page, I have no other choice and I have to add new information permanently.

    My best regards,
    Zlatka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Zlatka,

    I can imagine how you felt. And I'm sure your students were proud of you,too. They usually consider themselves experts in computers and they think that their teachers are computer illiterates. That's why they are amazed when they see that their teachers are skilled in using computers and the Internet, especially when they are shown something they didn't know about before.

    All the best,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Nina,

    Myself, I am in the opposite situation my students see me as an expert of the web, of course it's not true my skills are really limited , but I have been using internet for quite a long time for private and professional purposes so yes my skills are better than theirs.Not all students in my country are computer literate.In my class I can count on my finger students who use the web regularly and if they do, it's mainly for chatting on messenger with their friends.I have been trying fot years to understand that we can use the web for learning, but I haven't been so successful so far,that's why I wanted this training to find ways to interest them to technology in general and its use in education in particular.

    Big Hug,

    Hassina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mouth-watering image desribes well what you feel about delicious.com...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nina,

    I agree with you in many ways. The fact that we can use Delicious to oraganize our bookmarks, make the task of searching so much easier for us. Also, looking at it as means to share and help other colleagues I think it´s great. I´d never used Delicious before, but I´ll start using it with my students from now on. Thank you for your comments.

    Aleyda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nina,

    Delicious! I saw the nice fruiton your post. The description you gave has my mouth water. The description you gave of the site gives excites me to try to usee it. I did. Sometimes, it is not so easy to get. I will continue to use it.

    My problem is I have to retain the links I want to share on my notebook and then copy them on Delicious. This is time consuming and sometimes frustrating when for some reason it didn't tell you, it refuses your submission. If you know how to overcome these difficulties, please, let me know. Thank you. I hope to read you soon.

    Best regards

    roland

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Roland,

    Yes, sometimes you get a message that your bookmark cannot be saved because they are working on the website, but if you try again it usually works. If you can't save the websites on Delicious, you can save them in the bookmarks/favourites on your computer and then try again later.

    Best wishes,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete