Sunday, January 24, 2010

Web searching

The Internet is an endless source of information, but it is important to know how to find the right information in as little time as possible. This week we have seen that there are many search engines which make the searching easier from the start, as many of them are specialized for certain areas or use categories so that information is organized by subject. We haven't had time to explore them all in depth, but what we have seen so far shows that being familiar with these search engines is essential for successful web searching.
It is also important to educate our students how to search for information on the Web. Very often they need to use the Web to find information for their homework or for projects, or to prepare for debates and discussions. Using a general search engine would take more time and might produce results that are not so relevant for their purpose.I have just discovered an excellent search engine for researching current social issues (http://www.multcolib.org/homework/sochc.htm)l, which would be very useful for them when they prepare for debates and discussions as it offers multiple perspectives on these issues.

So far I have used mostly Google and Yahoo, and as Andreja says, some habits are difficult to change, but as we discover the advantages of other search engines, I am sure that we will get used to using different search engines for different purposes.


 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Nina,
    Thanks for your nice comment on my blog…I totally agree with you in the sense that there is a huge amount of information available on the internet and if you do not know how and where to look at, you can definitely get LOST. Moreover, using the right search engine certainly saves time. Like you, unfortunately, I haven’t had time to look through all the search engines but I am determined to explore them whenever I find time for the same reason as you stated “being familiar with these search engines is important for successful web searching”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nina,

    I appreciate that you agree with me on not restricting ourselves to a single, usually most convenient option. In the same way in which the ability to speak several languages may enable us to express the same kind of message differently, so English should and cannot be the only language for all the occasions, we are motivated to learn to use these new instruments for finding just the information we need. I am sure that in time we shall be able to define which tools are ideal for what, right now we are getting around and learning to read the map through these new glasses.

    Best regards and a lot of fruitful searches.

    Andreja

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nina,

    I like the image- this is where critical thinking takes us to..(joke)
    Manana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Nina,

    Your post finds the centre-point from the first shot! Absolutely, searching Google sometimes makes you feel totally "lost" as Gülsen said. Though, as Andreja said, "Googling" habit is difficult to change, I believe that the huge amount of time saved by searching through specialised search engines like the ones in NoodleTools website will encourage everyone to build new web searching habits.

    It has been a tough week for me as I have been extremely busy and not finding time to log on. I am happy to find a chance, at last, to read your enjoyable posts and write comments. As Manana said, your choice of topic picture is excellent indeed. I like it!

    Best wishes,
    Amjad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Nina!

    Reading all your information was great! Not only you enrich your vocabulary, but also you can learn the best and the fastest tools of technology!

    regards
    Stela

    ReplyDelete