Today I would like to tell you about the events taking place in my town these few days. Last night I went to the traditional masked ball (can you recognize me) that takes place every year as part of the centuries-old tradition, Strumica Carnival, that starts with the masked ball on Saturday and lasts till Wednesday.
Last night there were about 500 people, not only from my town but from other towns in Macedonia as well, because this is the only masked ball of this kind in my country. There was also a group from Finland who had a short programme (belly dance). I have included some pictures so that you can get a small glimpse of what was happening.
Tomorrow is Ash Monday, the first day of the Great Lent that lasts till Easter.
On Tuesday is the main carnival, which is an event worth seeing. You can visit the website of the Carnival, read about the tradition and see the masks. There are carnival groups not only from Macedonia, but from Bulgaria, Greece, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro and other countries.
I hope you enjoyed reading about this tradition in my town. I would like to hear about some traditions in your countries.

Waaaaawww ! I liked your pictures though I could not recognize you ! looooollll !
ReplyDeleteHow great is this programme ! We 've the opportunity to collaborate as teachers and exchange some aspects of each other's cultures !
Your posting inspired me ! It could be used as as a text , a stating point to make students describe one of their country's festival ! What do you think ?
Love ,
Farah
Dear Farah,
ReplyDeleteYes, it's a great idea. What I love about teaching English is that we have the freedom to explore many issues, countries, cultures, as long as there is a learning goal, and we can always find a way to use texts or create activities on different topics and connect it with what we are teaching. Maybe that's why students' favourite subject is English, because there is always variety and they learn many other things besides English.
If you really carry out this plan, let me know.
Take care,
Nina
Hi Nina,
ReplyDeleteThat was great to see your post about Carnival. You know that normally my country is worldwide known for our Carnival and football. Of course there is much more to see here, but we can't deny that Carnival is a wonderful festival. It is very interesting to see how this festival is celebrated in your culture.
I agree with Farah that it is a good idea to explore these festivals with our students, so that they have the opportunity to understand how different peoples express their culture. I can't see the teaching of a language without connecting it with the history and culture of the country, of the people that really uses this language.
By the way, thanks for the message on iEarn. I don't know why the posting didn't appear. I will check. I am sure we can share a lot of ideas about the projects of iEarn.
Best Regards,
Márcia
Dear Marcia,
ReplyDeleteOf course our carnival cannot be compared to yours. But, what is amazing about our carnival is that the participants make the masks themselves and they pay for all the expenses, there is no one to help them or sponsor them. So, it shows the enthusiasm of the participants who start preparing the masks 2-3 months before the carnival.
I also think that cultural differences between nations and different traditions can offer interesting topics for discussions and other classroom activities. Learning about the culture and history of English-speaking countries is essential for English language learners, but exploring other cultures is also worthwhile. As educators, our aim is not only to teach our subjects, but to help our students broaden their horizons, build their character and personality as well. That's why these topics are important and should be explored in the classroom.
Best wishes,
Nina
Dear Nina,
ReplyDeleteWonderful images. Where do you belong to. It all seemed like in Brazil...
And yes, images of festivals are great learning resources in language classroom.
Dilip (India)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Nina.
ReplyDeleteWonderful pictures indeed. I love Carnival and I miss it a lot.
Six years ago I moved from Barranquilla, on the Caribbean sea to a small city next to Bogotá, the capital of my country, Colombia.
In Barranquilla, the Carnival is also celebrated the same days as in your country. Cést une follie!
The topic of celebrations also attracts my students. Photographs, videos and the like can gretaly contribute to raise the students' interests in other people and cultures.
Regards,
Nora