Thursday, March 11, 2010

On-line Tools for Enhancing Learning

          This week, like all the previous weeks, was full of new ideas and suggestions for using online tools and exercises in our teaching.  Among them were online class websites such as Nicenet and Google Sites, and a myriad of online tools for creating exercises such as word search, bingo, crossword puzzles, board games, flash cards, matching exercises, multiple choice exercises and so on.
         As we have been using Nicenet for this course, we can see how easy it is for both teachers and students as it doesn't require any special knowledge to use it. So, it can be used in combination with face-to-face learning, so that it can increase the communication between the teacher and the students and offer more opportunities for discussions and exchanging and sharing of ideas, materials and weblinks. Google Sites is another useful tool for teachers for creating class websites. I hadn't heard about it before, but I tried it and found it very easy to use. 
         Among the many online tools for creating exercises, Hot Potatoes is my favourite, although there are many others that I am sure all of us will use. What I like about this software is that it allows you to create several types of exercises which you can publish and students can do online in class or at home, or if there are no computers in the classroom you can print them out and use them in class. Moreover, students can create their own exercises which they can share with their classmates, and which can help them learn and retain the material better and become more active participants in the learning process.
        Using online tools can certainly help our students become more autonomous learners because by doing online tasks such as writing blogs, doing webquests, taking part in creating class websites, or by engaging in other online exercises and activities, they become more involved and more motivated to learn the language, they can discover ways of learning the language that suit their learning styles and preferences,  which can boost their self-confidence, improve their knowledge of the language and increase their awareness of the importance of taking responsibility for their own learning.
         

6 comments:

  1. Dear Nina,
    You have rightly depicted that from this week's activities we can learn how to use materials even there are no computers in the classroom. Like you I also liked hot potato.
    I don't know what is the reason to give such a hot name. Can you guess?

    Sincerely yours,
    Mahamud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mahamud,

    That's a good question. You made me think, and I really don't know the correct answer. But, two things come to mind. The company that has developed this software is called 'Half-baked software', so maybe they put food names on their products. The logic could be that these activities are half-prepared and you have to complete them in order to use them.

    The phrase 'hot potato' is usually used to refer to a difficult situation or a problem that is difficult to solve usually in the context of politics or economy, so maybe it is used here to refer to difficult linguistic problems that this software can help us solve. Who knows? Let's ask the others, it would be interesting to hear everyone's opinion.

    Best regards,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina,

    I really enjoyed reading your concluding paragraph, and I cannot agree less with your point of view. All this nice Web "gadgets" are certainly an extrinsic way to engage those students who seem to be helpless in class. If with our "online" exercises they can perform better and become more responsible for their learning, I am sure we will have succeeded as educators.

    Best regards,

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear All,

    I would think that the phrase 'hot potatoes' may imply challenges that may be addressed using this tool. However, a lot of teachers and students could find it difficult to orienatate in the maze of choices availble until they get some experience of handling 'hot potatoes' expertly.
    This are two possible scenarios that come to my mind right now.....

    Manana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Manana, Jonathan, Nina and Mahmud,
    Let me also put my water into hot waters ...
    I think hot potatoes means a sensitive or controversial issue that is awkward or difficult to deal with. This programme helps simplifying such grammatical issues with ease and comfort.
    Hotpotatoes are very sweet and delicious. Isn't it?
    Dilip (India)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear friends ,
    Whatever ' Hot potetoes ' means , we all had fun working with it and our students will certainly enjoy the activities we created ! We are lucky being in this course ! Hot but delicious !
    Yours ,
    Farah

    March 14, 2010 3:14 PM

    ReplyDelete